Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Pizza Supreme

This pizza never gets old. The key ingredients also keep very well, so you can easily stretch out making a second batch a week after the first.

Flatbread Pizza Supreme
For 5 servings

5 whole grain flat breads
1 red pepper, thinly sliced
1 box of mushrooms, sliced
1 can of tomato sauce or tomato paste
1/2 lb of prosciutto
        or 2 cans of anchovies marinated in olive oil
arugula
mozzarella cheese, shredded
goat cheese, sliced
parmesan, shaved


1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. Place the flatbread on a baking sheet. (No need to use oil. The bread will not stick.)
3. Spread tomato sauce (I prefer to use tomato paste that I thin out with water. I can better control the consistency and sodium levels).
4. Sprinkle with mozzarella, then arrange pepper, mushroom, and goat cheese slices. Make it pretty!
5. Tear prosciutto into strips, 1" by 2". Arrange onto pizza.
6. Place a small handful of arugula in the center. Sprinkle with parmesan.
7. Bake in the oven for 15 to 20 min, depending on desired crunchiness of the crust.


One more picture
Tips:
-- This is an old trick: cut pizza with scissors.

-- Don't go overboard with any one of the ingredients because your pizza may become unmanageable. You have to be able to let it sit on a tiny piece of flatbread.

-- Also, when saving ingredients over the course of the week, use vegetable plastic bags instead of saran wrap or foil. I will write another post about the all-purpose vegetable plastic bag later. Suffice it to say that the can of tomato, goat cheese, and parmesan will fare especially well if you tie them up in one of those bags.


Why should you make this?
#1. It's super easy, healthy, and delicious. There is no oil in this recipe, except for the natural oils found in the ingredients. Pretty cheap, too, except for the prosciutto.
#2. This pizza is all about using a little of everything. So many flavors melding in your mouth!
#3. It's the best cooking project to do with kids. I made pizzas with my ex-boyfriend's 3-year-old nephew, and it was the most fun I'd ever had cooking with someone else. Just prepare the toppings in advance, like they do in those cooking shows, so the child has complete creative control over the sprinkling process. You can adapt the ingredients so that they are friendlier to children's tastes. For example, skip the prosciutto and use pepperoni slices instead.
The only thing I would change about that particular pizza-making-with-nephew experience is that I would have used flatbread instead of pizza dough. Toddlers and dough-work will go nowhere. Also, once you discover pita bread or flatbread, it's difficult to ever go back to manually stretching dough and all that mess...

Why should you not make this?
I cannot for the life of me think of any reason. Maybe you don't know how to turn on an oven. Or maybe you can't afford to buy a baking sheet, in which case, you should borrow one in order to make this pizza.

No comments:

Post a Comment