Sunday, September 1, 2013

Summer Tacos

It's been a long hiatus from posting. I left New York City for a summer internship in DC, which kept me so busy that I hardly had any time to spare for my blog. Many friendships and memories were made, good food was eaten, and not much sleep was had. But I'm back now!

My best friend came to visit me for Labor Day. I took her to the Highline at Fourteenth Street, which was an ideal study spot. She is in medical school, and I am in law school; sadly, our fun visit consisted mostly of reading.

We did make time to visit Chelsea Market, where she made a beeline for Los Tacos No. 1. She had read about the place on Yelp -- "five stars with 62 reviews and one dollar sign are nothing to scoff at." Indeed! I can count on one hand the number of times I'd had tacos, and these were absolutely delicious. A day later, I felt I hadn't had enough and tried re-creating the magic.

I used leftover duck breast for the meat, and had I been more enterprising, I would definitely have marinaded it. I also made scrambled eggs with onions, spinach, and asparagus heads, but the winner of the night was the salsa. We hand-chopped every ingredient, but I wish that I owned a food processor.

This recipe is a keeper!

(I need to figure out how to download photos from my phone, eh.)

Mango Salsa
Serving size: 8

Ingredients:
1 mango, peeled and diced
6 or 7 plum tomatoes, diced
1 red onion, diced
1/2 cup of cilantro, finely chopped
4 cloves of garlic
Lime juice
Olive oil
Cumin
Cayenne pepper
Black pepper
Salt

1. Combine all the ingredients.
2. Enjoy! Or keep chilled in the fridge until consumption.

Why should I make this?
#1. Cheap ingredients.
#2. So many veggies. I ate them all, including the red onion, which I usually find too strong to like. I hardly recognized myself.
#3. No cooking involved. Perfect for the summer when no one wants to stand in front of a stove or turn on the oven!

Why should I not make this?
#1. You don't like to chop things finely and don't own a food processor.

No comments:

Post a Comment